What Happens To Your Home When You Separate?

What Happens To Your Home When You Separate

Facing separation or divorce can be an emotionally challenging journey for anyone. Amidst the whirlwind of emotions and adjustments, one often overlooked aspect is the impact it can have on your living arrangements. When you separate from your partner, the status of your home suddenly becomes a critical consideration, entailing a complex web of legal, financial, and emotional factors to navigate.

In this blog post, we will explore what happens to your home when you separate from your partner in the United Kingdom. We will delve into the potential scenarios of relationship breakdown and your housing rights in the UK, legal frameworks, and essential steps involved in disentangling your shared living arrangements and moving forward towards a new chapter in your life.

From discussing the division of property and assets to examining the rights and responsibilities each party holds, we aim to shed light on the essential information you need to know during this challenging time. Whether you are married, in a civil partnership, or cohabiting, the UK’s legal landscape holds distinct provisions that determine how your home will be treated during separation.

As you embark on this new chapter of your life, it is crucial to be informed about the legal processes and options available to help create a more stable future for you. Whether you are seeking clarity on selling or refinancing your jointly owned property, negotiating arrangements for the children involved, or simply looking for guidance on the legalities around your home, our comprehensive guide will help you make better decisions.

Remember, you are not alone in this journey. Countless others have faced similar circumstances, and through understanding the legal framework and seeking appropriate guidance, you can navigate this challenging period with confidence and lay the foundation for a brighter future. Let’s get started!

If You Rent Your Home . . .

If you are a tenant, you have a few different options. Initially, if the two of you both want to leave the home or flat, you’re renting, you may be able to try to end the tenancy.

If it’s nearly over, you can let your landlord know that you’ll be leaving when it ends. Most term this “giving notice.” If your tenancy, though, has a much longer term, you can ask your landlord to end it early. The legal term for this is “surrendering your tenancy.” Keep in mind that if you have a fixed term and you want to leave during that, or you have a periodic tenancy, and you can’t offer the right amount of notice to end it, your landlord doesn’t have to agree with the decision. Explain why you want to end your tenancy early, and in some cases, they’ll agree to let that happen. If they don’t, however, you will have to pay rent until the tenancy ends, even if you move out early. You may also be responsible for other bills too. In some cases, you could be responsible for council tax.

If you do manage to reach an agreement with your landlord, be sure to have him or her put it in writing, as you may need to refer back to it if there are any problems. You may also still need to pay an early termination fee, which helps the landlord pay the reasonable costs involved with you moving out early.

What you don’t want to do is just leave without telling your landlord. You won’t manage to end the tenancy that way, and you’re still financially responsible for the rent. Your landlord can even go to court to ensure that you pay the rent owed to them. In many cases, you may have to pay court costs, too. If you make that move, not only are there financial consequences involved, but you’ll find other consequences too. You won’t be able to get the reference you need from your landlord, and you could find it tough to get a new place to live.

If You Own Your Home . . .

If the two of you own a home together, things may get a bit more complex. Just how complex they can get, though, depends a bit on how you purchased the home. Understanding that begins with the deed to the house.

Take A Closer Look At The Deed

The first thing that will help you better understand what should happen to your home when you separate is the title deed to the home itself. Typically, couples have one of two different kinds of arrangements when they buy a home.

The first arrangement you might have is called a joint tenancy. In Section B of the title deed, you’ll see both names listed, and there won’t be any restrictions registered against either name.

With this kind of agreement, the two of you own the property together. If one of you were to die, their ownership would automatically pass to you thanks to the “Right of Survivorship” that is automatically built into this kind of agreement. There’s no clear division of ownership with this type of agreement, and many couples love it for that reason. It does make things a bit more complex if you separate, though.

The second kind of agreement you may have chosen is a Tenancy in Common agreement. Here, two people share the property, but they can have unequal shares of that property. You’ll know if this is the kind of agreement you chose because, on the title deed, you’ll see both of your names, but you’ll also see a restriction listed. It will say

Restriction: No disposition by a Sole Proprietor or the Registered Estate (Except a Trust Corporation) Under Which Capital Money Arises Is to Be Registered Unless Authorised By An Order of the Court.

You may own a smaller share of this property than your partner does. The bonus, though, is that you can get rid of your share of the property at any time, even in situations of separation. If you wish to sell your share, you simply have to do so.

There is one other possibility, too. It may be that you’re not listed on the title deed at all. In that case, only your partner has a legal right to the house, even if you’re listed on the mortgage documents. There are situations where that happens, and while it can be incredibly frustrating to be financially responsible for a property yet not have any rights to it, during separation, if your partner wants you to leave, you must do so.

The Next Step

If you have either a Joint Tenancy or a Tenancy in Common agreement, the next steps are pretty clear.

In the event you have a Tenancy in Common agreement, you can simply list your share of the house. It’s probably best if you ask your partner if they’d like to buy your share, but that’s not necessary. Instead, you simply have to inform them that you plan to sell, find an estate agent who will take it, and then market and sell it. If your partner decides to sell too, you can market the entire home and share the proceeds according to your Tenancy in Common agreement. If not, you can simply market your share of the property.

In the event you have a Joint Tenancy agreement, you’ll next need to consult with a solicitor. When embarking on a search for a solicitor to help, it is highly beneficial to seek guidance from individuals within your social circle, such as friends, coworkers, or relatives, who have previously dealt with similar situations. These individuals possess invaluable knowledge and experiences that can aid you in compiling a comprehensive roster of solicitors who operate in your vicinity and accommodate your financial means. By consulting these trusted acquaintances, you will be equipped with the necessary tools to begin your quest for professional help. These individuals are also known for providing sincere evaluations about the solicitors they have previously interacted with, emphasising their level of efficiency and professionalism.

Additionally, you should consider utilising the power of the internet to discover solicitors who possess vast knowledge and expertise in both relationship breakups as well as property sales. It’s essential to bear in mind that not all solicitors possess the same set of skills; hence it is advisable to seek out those professionals or firms who have acquired significant experience in handling both separations and property matters.

Once you have compiled a satisfactory roster of potential candidates capable of satisfying your requirements, it is essential to engage in conversations with a select few before making a final decision on the most suitable contender for your needs. Numerous legal professionals offer preliminary meetings at no expense, providing an opportunity for you to delve deeper into their abilities and the assistance they can provide.

They present you with a chance to delve deeper into your circumstances and gain insight into the type of assistance you anticipate from them. Seize this occasion to explore their strategy towards resolving property conflicts and grasp the cost implications of their services. Additionally, evaluate your compatibility with them and ascertain if you genuinely feel at ease collaborating with them.

Once you have sought assistance from a legal representative, the subsequent course of action necessitates appearing in court if your former partner does not concur with your perspectives on the property. Typically, you will be required to file for a financial order to aid in the resolution. In the event of a divorce, this will seamlessly integrate into the ongoing proceedings.

The court has exclusive authority to issue financial orders, formally specifying the allocation of finances and assets between two entities. Primarily applied in divorce cases, these orders endeavour to secure an equitable resolution that considers the financial requirements and preferences of each involved party.

To obtain a financial order, it is imperative to furnish the court with a comprehensive declaration of your entire financial situation. Similarly, your partner will also be required to provide these details. It is important to acknowledge that this process entails a significant amount of information. Your income, assets, and even pension should be disclosed to the court.

In addition, it is essential to explicitly state any obligations that you may have. Curious as to why such a vast amount of information is required? The court necessitates all of this data to gain a clearer comprehension of what the most equitable financial arrangement could entail.

Frequently, before the court renders a verdict, it is common to be directed towards mediation. If an agreement cannot be reached during mediation, the court will proceed to arrange an FDA, which stands for First Directions Appointment. Such an appointment represents the primary hearing you may experience regarding a financial disagreement among partners.

Once you reach this stage, a meeting will be arranged between you, your legal representatives, and the judge. During this meeting, the judge will provide you with guidance regarding the subsequent course of action. Additionally, they might elaborate on the anticipated timeline for the upcoming procedures.

In every FDA hearing, the objective is to envision a potential resolution that satisfies both parties. Typically, the judge dedicates a considerable amount of time to assessing the feasibility of financial agreements in the case. Furthermore, the judge may provide their perspective on the potential outcomes if the case were to proceed to a final hearing.

The decision on whether or not to sell the house could be inched closer by this single factor, leading both parties to eventually reach a mutual agreement.

If the judge encounters difficulty in convincing your partner to consent to the sale of the house, the court will arrange a conclusive hearing. At this decisive hearing, both parties will be granted an opportunity to present witnesses, evidence, and arguments about any property, including the house. After considering all the presented information, the judge will render a verdict determining the exact fate of all the properties involved.

The allocation of assets is carried out by the judge through the financial order mentioned before, outlining the distribution plan for all involved parties.

The enforceability of this agreement is incontrovertible, rendering it legally binding for both parties. Both individuals must adhere to its terms. If a judge declares the mandatory sale of the house with equal distribution of profits, this ruling must be honoured without exception. Even if one party expresses their reluctance to proceed with the house sale, UK courts will maintain and support the judicial decision.

If either of you fails to comply with the order, the other party retains the right to seek legal intervention to ensure its enforcement.

If your partner or spouse chooses not to cooperate despite the issuance of a financial order, the only recourse available to you is to return to court once again. On many occasions, this will result in a compulsory sale, commonly referred to as a court order for sale.

In cases where one party is opposed to selling the property, the court is bestowed with an opportunity to facilitate its sale. To initiate this process, you must collaborate with your solicitor to apply with the court, outlining the grounds for desiring the sale and providing a comprehensive account of the ongoing dispute between both parties.

The ensuing account will intricately describe the actions you have taken to successfully resolve the matter without any involvement from the judiciary.

Just like before, you will have the opportunity to present your case to the judge during your upcoming court appearance. It is common in these types of hearings to also be able to present evidence supporting your arguments.

When reaching a decision, the judge takes into account multiple factors, including the financial situations of both parties, the necessity of the current housing arrangement, and the potential impact on any dependents involved.

After both parties have had the opportunity to present their arguments, the court will determine whether it deems necessary to grant a court order for the sale of the house. Should the court conclude that it is fitting, it will disclose to both individuals the conditions under which the sale will occur and how the resulting funds will be distributed.

To guarantee a successful sale of the property, the court has the authority to establish a specific duration in which it must be completed. This timeframe provides a fair chance for the property to be sold. However, if the sale fails to occur within the designated period, the individual seeking the sale may be required to return to the court for further steps.

If either owner fails to adhere to the sale order, they must comply regardless. Should one party refuse to cooperate, the court reserves the right to appoint a trustee to oversee the property’s sale. Additionally, noncompliance may result in other forms of punishment.

If You Have A Special Situation . . .

There are a few special situations that don’t fit in either the renting or owning a home category. What happens if you’re leaving because of domestic abuse? In that situation, you can often talk to your local council for homelessness help. They will consider you a “priority need” person because of the domestic abuse, and they will help you leave and find new long-term housing. Often you can even talk to an adviser before you leave so you can find out the next steps you should take.

If you’re not a tenant, you may need to talk to the local Citizens Advice group. You may not be considered a tenant in a couple of different situations. If you are a lodger, you are not considered a tenant. If you live with your landlord, similarly, you are not considered to be a tenant. Additionally, you are not considered to be a tenant if you live in a hostel, in supported housing, or temporary housing from the local council because of homelessness.

You Do Have Options If You Are Separating

If the two of you are separating, understand that you do have options when it comes to your home. Whether you’re renting together or you own a home together, there are many different things you can do to protect your living space. Talk to a solicitor for more information.


Still, have a few questions about what might happen to your housing situation if your relationship is breaking down. Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions with the answers you need.

How Does Buying My Partner Out Of Our Mortgage Work?

You can buy your partner out of a mortgage in the UK, but the process may involve several steps and considerations. First, it’s essential to seek legal advice from a solicitor or conveyancer who specialises in property transactions. They can guide you through the process and ensure all the necessary legal documents are prepared. Next, you and your partner need to agree on the value of the property and the amount you’ll pay to buy them out. This can be based on the current market value or a valuation agreed upon by both parties. You may need to apply for a new mortgage or refinance the existing mortgage solely in your name. Lenders will assess your financial situation to decide if you can afford to make the mortgage payments on your income. Once the financial aspect is sorted, you’ll need to execute a Transfer of Equity. This document transfers ownership from both names to just your name. Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) may be applicable depending on the value of the share being transferred. The change in ownership needs to be registered with the Land Registry to officially reflect the new ownership structure.

I Own Half A House. What Are My Rights In The UK When It Comes To Selling?

If you own the property as Tenants in Common, each co-owner has a separate and distinct share of the property. You have the right to sell your share without the consent of the other co-owner. However, the other co-owner will retain their share and continue to co-own the property with the new owner of your share. If you are joint tenants, the situation is somewhat different, and your best bet is to talk to a solicitor.

Can I Sell My House To My Son For 1 Pound?

If you’re hoping to help your son because he’s separating and needs a new place to live, it is possible to sell your house to him for a small amount of money. It’s important to note, though, that Stamp Duty and Capital Gains taxes may be involved, so it’s best to consult with a solicitor before you make the sale.

What Does Joint Ownership Of Property Mean?

Joint ownership of property in the UK refers to a situation where two or more individuals collectively own property. There are two common forms: joint tenants and tenants in common. You’ll want to determine which arrangement you have to learn more about.

How Do I Go About Removing My Name From A Joint Mortgage In The UK?

To remove your name from a joint mortgage in the UK, you’ll need to go through a process known as “mortgage transfer” or “transfer of equity.” This involves transferring your share of the property and mortgage responsibility to the other co-owner or a new individual.

I Bought A House With My Boyfriend. Now We’re Breaking Up. What Do UK Laws Say Happens To The House?

It depends a bit on how you bought the house. Take a look at some of the different things it can mean above, depending on whose name is on the title deed.

We Have A Joint Tenancy In A Council House. Our Relationship Breakdown Has Happened. What’s Next?

With a joint tenancy agreement, relationship breakdown means your housing could be problematic. Your best bet is to talk to the council and your landlord to learn the next steps.

How Do You Dissolve Parent-Child Joint Ownership Of A House In The UK?

You’ll need to work with a solicitor to dissolve that ownership. In most cases, you’ll either need to buy your child out of the arrangement or list the entire house for sale.

What Happens To The House If We Have A Joint Mortgage That Is Paid By One Person In The UK?

With a joint mortgage paid by one person, you may be able to prove in court that the person responsible for the mortgage payment is the only one who has a right to the house. Talk with your solicitor to learn more about what a court may decide in that situation.

We are proud members of...

  • NAPB
  • RICS
  • The Property Ombudsman
  • Trading Standards

We are proud to be the most regulated property buyer operating in the ‘Quick House Sale’ industry. We are an active member of the NAPB (National Association Of Property Buyers) and are RICS regulated, which means you can have every confidence of selling your home with us quickly & easily.