What Paperwork Do I Need To Sell My House In The UK?

Person Signing Document Paper

Selling a house is filled with new opportunities and possibilities. However, before you can embark on this adventure, there are essential steps you need to take and crucial documents you must gather to ensure a smooth and successful sale. Whether you’re a first-time seller or a seasoned homeowner, understanding the required paperwork is vital to ensure you understand the various complexities surrounding the real estate market in the UK.

In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll walk you through the key documents you need to sell your house in the UK. From initial preparations to finalising the sale, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make the process as seamless as possible. So, whether you’re planning to sell your beloved family home or an investment property, let’s dive in and demystify the documentation required to unlock the next chapter of your life.

Ten Key Documents You Need To Sell Your House

Selling your house may involve a significant amount of paperwork, but with the right knowledge and guidance, you can approach the process with confidence and achieve a successful sale. Here are ten things you should pull immediately if you’re ready to sell your home.

1. Proof Of Your Identity: Virtually everyone with whom you work will check your identity when you prepare to sell your home. In today’s world, both fraud and identity theft are quite common, so proving your identity is essential to protect both yourself and potential buyers. With the increasing prevalence of property-related scams, providing proof of identity helps establish your legitimacy as the rightful owner, instilling confidence in potential buyers and protecting them from fraudulent activity. What’s more, though, is that estate agents and conveyancers are required to get it from you for a couple of different reasons. First, the UK government has implemented stringent anti-money laundering regulations to combat illegal activities, including money laundering and terrorist financing. As part of these regulations, estate agents and conveyancers are obligated to confirm their clients’ identities. By providing proof of identity, you demonstrate compliance with these regulations, ensuring a transparent and secure process. The second reason surrounds title fraud. Title fraud is a serious concern in the property market. Fraudsters sometimes try to market a property they do not own, using false identities to deceive unsuspecting buyers. By requiring proof of identity, the selling process becomes more secure, protecting both the seller and potential buyers from falling victim to this type of fraud. There’s yet another reason (outside of the legal requirements) that most estate agents and solicitors will ask you to prove your identity. Proof of identity helps verify your legal capacity to sell the property. It ensures that you are of age, mentally competent, and legally authorised to undertake the transaction. This requirement protects all parties involved by preventing unauthorised individuals from selling properties that do not rightfully belong to them.

There are several different documents you can use to prove your identity. Typically you’ll need a combination of these. A valid passport is a good place to start. You can also use a driver’s license, either full or provisional. Additionally, you can provide someone with a National Identity card to prove your identity or a residence permit. You may also be able to use a Military ID card.

2. Land Registry Title Documents: You’ll need the title deed to your house if you intend to sell it. You may be asking yourself, “Who holds the deeds to my house in the UK?” In most cases, your solicitor likely gave them to you when you initially bought the home. It is possible, however, that your mortgage lender has the original deed or the solicitor hung onto it for safekeeping. If after talking to both, you are still left asking yourself “Who holds the deeds to my house in the UK,” don’t worry! You can get a copy of the title deeds from the Land Registry for a very small sum of money.

If you’re unfamiliar with the Land Registry, you may not know that they have a variety of different functions. At its core, the Land Registry is responsible for recording and maintaining a comprehensive database of land and property ownership throughout England and Wales. From residential homes to commercial estates, any land or property that is bought, sold, or mortgaged is registered with the Land Registry, creating an accurate and up-to-date record of ownership. There’s a listing of every house price with the Land Registry. The sale history of property sold across the UK is recorded here. It’s fairly easy, through a quick document request, to get Land Registry house sold prices so you can see what your home previously sold for or what the Land Registry house price was on any home. This can be quite helpful. Not only is the title deed something you actually must have to sell your home, but obtaining the house price from the Land Registry will give you access to the sale history of the property, which may help you better price your home now. Because you’re able to see your house sold price with the Land Registry as well as the Land Registry house sold prices of those around you, you’ll be able to appropriately price your home, thus giving you a better chance of selling it as quickly as possible.

Keep in mind that about 15% of all the land and property in the UK isn’t registered, though, and that can complicate things if you’re trying to sell your house. You may have to initially apply for first registration, which will take the help of a conveyancing solicitor.

There are a few different reasons that you may need your title documentation as you try to sell your home. The first is to prove you are the rightful owner of the property. Title documents essentially establish the seller’s legal right to list the property for sale and transfer ownership to the buyer. More than that, though, title documents contain important details about the property, such as its boundaries, any easements or rights of way, and any restrictions or covenants that may affect its use. Providing these documents to potential buyers allows them to verify the property’s details and ensure they align with their expectations. Additionally, of course, in the UK, it is a legal requirement to provide title documents when selling a property. The buyer’s solicitor or conveyancer will need these documents to verify the property’s ownership, investigate any potential issues, and prepare the necessary legal documents for the transaction.

3. Energy Performance Certificate: If you’re selling your home, you will also need an Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC, for short. An EPC rates the energy efficiency rating of a home on a scale from A to G. On this scale, A is the most efficient type of property and G is the least efficient type of property. The rating looks at factors such as insulation, heating systems, and lighting.

To obtain an EPC, you will need to hire an accredited energy assessor. These assessors will come to your property and carry out an inspection to determine the energy efficiency rating of your property. They will then provide you with a report that includes the rating and recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of your property. Once you have obtained your EPC, it is valid for 10 years. You will need to provide a copy of the EPC to any potential buyers or renters before they make an offer on the property.

If you’ve had an inspection within the last ten years, but you can’t find the certification, EPC retrieval is possible through the national EPC register, which is accessible to you, potential buyers, tenants, or their representatives. EPC retrieval is possible through their website or by reaching out and getting a printed copy of the EPC from the DEA directly.

4. Leasehold Documents: If you have a leasehold, you’ll need to obtain those documents too. In most cases, your estate agent will use the marketing materials around your property to highlight the tenure and show how many years are left on your current lease, what the cost of the ground rent is, and what the service charges are currently. Often the marketing materials will also list any planned increases. It’s important to note that most mortgages won’t cover leases that have less than 80 years on them, so if your home has a lease that is this low, you may have trouble selling it. However, as long as you’ve been in the property for at least two years, you can extend the lease to make it a bit more marketable to potential buyers.

In most cases, your solicitor will reach out to the freeholder or his managing agent to get the leasehold information pack, but that can take some time, so you’ll want to instruct your solicitor as soon as possible. It’s key that the buyer understands the terms of the lease and has access to any documentation related to the service charges. That could include a copy of the accounts, a share certificate, any articles, the building’s insurance policy, and any correspondence you have from the freeholder. Your solicitor will want copies of all of that information, too. The buyer should also be able to easily find out if any major works are planned like roof replacements, driveway resurfacing, or replacement cladding. Additionally, they will want to know the fire risk as well as any other assessments that have been done on the property.

5. New Build Warranties: If your property is less than ten years old, you need to include your Buildmark policy and any other warranty documents that came with your home. New build warranties are intended to provide peace of mind to homeowners and buyers by offering protection against certain defects that might emerge in the property after its construction or conversion. These warranties typically cover structural defects, such as issues with the foundation, walls, roof, and load-bearing elements. While the duration of the warranty can vary somewhat depending on the provider and the overall amount of cover, generally, new build warranties in the UK last for a period of 10 years from the date of completion, which is why it’s so important to pass them on to a new owner. During this period, the warranty provider will cover the cost of repairs for eligible structural issues. In many cases, the new build warranty is transferable to subsequent buyers if the property is sold within the coverage period. This transferability can be an added benefit for buyers, as it increases the property’s attractiveness in the resale market.

6. Gas Safety Certificates: These are one of the most important documents you can have as you prepare to sell your house. A gas safety certificate comes from a Gas Safe registered engineer. In the past, this was called a CORGI certificate. Today, though, it’s just a Gas Safe Register Certificate or a Gas Safety Certificate. While you aren’t legally obligated to have one of these when you’re selling, it is recommended because you want to show a potential buyer that your boiler truly is safe and that you’ve taken care of it well. If this will be an investment property for someone, gas certificates will be required for the new landlord, as you must show a tenant one before renting to them.

In the event you cannot find a recent gas safety certificate, you can obtain a gas-safe replacement certificate. The Gas Safe Register can provide you with a duplicate Gas Safe certificate. The cost of a gas safety certificate the second time is fairly minimal. As long as the details are in their system, the Gas Safe Register will charge you £6.84 per certificate.

If you do not have a boiler service and gas safety certificate, and you cannot obtain a Gas Safe replacement certificate, it’s best to get a Gas Safe register certificate before you sell your home, even though it’s not required. Gas certificates may be important to some buyers, and if you don’t have them or a boiler service certificate, you could potentially lose the sale of your home. The cost of a Gas Safety certificate tends to be fairly minimal, so it’s best to talk to a professional about obtaining a boiler service and Gas Safety certificate before you list your home. If you’re certain you’ve had an inspection or even a CORGI certificate recently, you can certainly ask for a duplicate Gas Safe certificate to help market your property.

7. Part P Building Regulation Certificates: If you’ve made any changes to the wiring of your home since January 2005, you do have to have a Part P Building Regulation Certificate. You will need to give it to your solicitor so they can give it to your buyer. The purpose of this certification is to show that any electrical work you had done meets the updated standards in the UK. If you haven’t had any work done since then, don’t worry! You don’t have to provide the buyers with an Electrical Safety Certificate. While you can have an Electrical Installation Condition Report made for them, the onus is actually on the buyer to check the electrics are safe when they buy them. If you have lost your certificate that was completed when the work was done, you can simply go back to the electrician who handled it for you and get a replacement certificate.

8. FENSA Certificates: A FENSA certificate is an essential document related to the installation of windows, doors, and roof lights in the UK. FENSA stands for “Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme,” and it is a government-authorised scheme that monitors and regulates window and door installation to ensure compliance with building regulations.

When homeowners replace windows or doors in their properties, they must ensure that the installation work complies with certain building regulations, particularly those related to energy efficiency and safety. The FENSA scheme simplifies this process for homeowners and installers by providing a streamlined way to demonstrate compliance.

Once the window or door installation is complete, the FENSA registered installer will provide the homeowner with a FENSA certificate. This certificate acts as proof that the installation work complies with building regulations, including thermal performance, safety, and ventilation standards.

If you had new windows and doors installed, but the work wasn’t carried about by an approved workman, you may need indemnity insurance for the new owner.

9. Planning Permissions and Building Regulations Approvals: If you made any changes to the property in recent years, you will need to show that you had planning permissions and Building Regulation approvals to do so. You’ll also need completion certificates for all of that work. You must offer details of the work that was done, too.

Planning permissions and building regulations certificates verify that any significant changes or extensions made to the property were carried out legally with the necessary approvals from the local planning authority and building control department. This ensures that the property complies with the relevant regulations and has been constructed or modified according to approved plans. For buyers, these certificates offer assurance that the property has undergone proper scrutiny and meets the required standards. Knowing that the necessary permissions were obtained can instil confidence in the property’s integrity and value. Moreover, providing planning permissions and building regulations certificates helps the seller avoid potential legal issues in the future. If a property modification is discovered to be non-compliant or without proper approvals after the sale, the new owner could face enforcement actions or be required to remedy the situation at their expense.

10. Guarantees and Warranties: You will also need to provide the potential buyer with any other guarantees or warranties you have for any work that has been undertaken on the property. Whether you were dealing with a serious case of dampness or something like Japanese Knotweed, you’ll need to show that the problem was addressed and that it has been guaranteed not to return. Any warranties you have for fixtures and fittings you’ll leave behind fall under this category. Remember that you can sell your appliances for cash in the UK to a new buyer, but to do so, you’ll need any associated warranties. Ensuring you have all of that paperwork can help speed things up considerably.

A Few Other Documents To Find

While this may seem like an exhaustive list, the reality is that you may need a few other documents, too. You’ll need to tell your estate agent any relevant material facts about the property. They will help you understand what other documentation you need. Many different things can have a big impact on whether a buyer makes the decision to purchase your home, and estate agents will ask about lots of different things so they can share that information with buyers. For example, if your home is of non-standard construction, that might be a fact that could influence a buyer. Similarly, if it had a regular flooding problem, you would need to show what you’ve done to remedy that to sell it to the next buyer.

You’re also likely to need to provide any required financial commitment paperwork. Council tax paperwork is usually included in that list, as is rent charge costs or something similar.

Additionally, Party Wall Agreements for any work you’ve done that impacts shared space with your neighbours should be part of the documentation you gather, as should any indemnity insurance you took out when you initially bought your home. If there’s a restrictive covenant on your home, that should be listed too.

The goal with all of this documentation isn’t to present your home in a poor light. Instead, it’s so that potential buyers aren’t misled into purchasing a home with various defects. They need all of the information possible to make an informed decision, and as the house seller, you’re responsible for that.

Talk To Your Estate Agent

If you’re still asking yourself “What paperwork do I need to sell my house in the UK?” or “How do I get the deeds to my house in the UK?” the single best thing you can do is to talk to your estate agent. He or she can usually guide you through a myriad of things, not the least of which is helping you figure out what paperwork you need and where to find paperwork that might not be at your fingertips. n estate agent can certainly guide the documents you need to sell your house in the UK. Experienced estate agents are well-versed in the property selling process and can offer valuable advice on the necessary paperwork and documentation required to complete a successful property sale. They will make it easier for you to compile the necessary paperwork. That’s why it’s essential to choose an experienced and reliable estate agent who can offer professional advice and support at every stage of the property-selling journey. Gather what you can then speak to your estate agent to get more information about what you might need to sell your home before you put it on the market.

We are proud members of...

  • NAPB
  • RICS
  • The Property Ombudsman
  • Trading Standards

We are proud to be the most regulated property buyer operating in the ‘Quick House Sale’ industry. We are an active member of the NAPB (National Association Of Property Buyers) and are RICS regulated, which means you can have every confidence of selling your home with us quickly & easily.