How To Complete The N244 Form When Facing Repossession

Person writing on clipboard

In early 2023, the Financial Conduct Authority warned of a frightening trend. More than 750,000 households are at risk of defaulting on their mortgages in the next two years and could face repossession. Few homeowners can imagine the emotional toll and stress surrounding repossession, yet it happens to thousands of people yearly. If you have received a repossession order from the court, it is still possible to stop the process, but only if you complete an N244 form to stop the eviction.

What Is The N244 Form Used For?

What is an N244 form? An N244 form helps those who are at risk of eviction secure a hearing with a judge before the eviction can take place. It has to be carefully completed and legally correct. It can be a fairly frustrating process, though, because it is the one document the judge reviews to make his decision in cases of eviction, and if you don’t mention all of the mitigating circumstances, you may have your case dismissed and your home repossessed.

How Do You Complete The N244 Application?

As you get started, it’s important to understand that your application, the N244, has to be presented with specific evidence of how you plan to clear your current debt to the mortgage company. Without that additional evidence, court form N244 is almost worthless.

You can print the 244-court form and handwrite your responses. You can also pull an N244 online form up on a computer and type your answers into it. If you choose to do it that way, you will still need to print the N244 application form because you must sign both versions using black ink.

In addition to the N244 form, you will need an N11M personal defence form. Using these together means you can help the court fully see what financial issues you’re currently facing and what you can do about them.

At the top of the court forms N244, you’ll need to complete the name of the court itself. It should be on the paperwork the County Court has already sent to you. You’ll also need to add the case claim number, which should be on the same initial set of paperwork. Additionally, you’ll need to add the fee account number, complete the help with fees section, and add the warrant numbers if those apply to your case. You’ll need to add the lender’s name under the Claimant’s name section. You’ll need to put your name on the form as the defendant. You’ll need to add the date as well.

Once you’re done with that section, it’s time to complete the questions. In the first section, you’ll place your full name. On the second, you need to add a tick to the box beside “Defendant.” The next question asks whether you want to adjourn the hearing or set aside the judgement, and you have to explain the reason for your request. This is a space where you’ll want to be very careful with your words but print the truth as clearly as possible. The judge is looking for an honest response from you, and this is your space to do just that.

On question four, you’ll only want to attach a draft of the order if you’re working with a solicitor. If you choose to defend yourself, the court will know that you don’t fully understand the laws involved.

Question five is best approached “at a hearing.” In these situations, you’ll have a chance to deal with things face-to-face, and that may give you a better chance to truly approach your case one-on-one with the judge and the lender in the room.

The next three questions, six, seven, and eight, should probably be left blank unless you are coordinating with a solicitor. Similarly, question 9 only needs to be filled in if you want the court to send a copy of the application to your solicitor or someone else with whom you’re working like your debt advisor.

Question ten is a fairly important one. In most cases, you’ll want to add a tick to “The Evidence set out in the box below” because if you do so, you can add any N244 notes that might help to build your case. Maybe, for example, you have taken a second job to earn additional wages. Maybe you have a new roommate and a tenancy agreement that will help you pay your bills. Perhaps you’re getting some help from the council. All of those are things you’ll want to add to this space. Additionally, if you have evidence that your lender isn’t following the required protocol, that should go in this space too.

Last, but not least, be sure you sign the Statement of Truth at the bottom of the form.

Submitting The N244

It’s best to photocopy the form before you send it in so that you have a copy for your records. There is an N244 application fee when you file, but often if you’re already on benefits, you won’t have to pay the N244 court fee. Typically, the N244 fee is £255. If you’re not sure what your fee for the N244 application will be, you may want to check with the court. Once the form is complete, it will then need to go to the county court office. Wondering how to pay the N244 fee? You’ll submit that to the same place.

Should You Hire A Solicitor?

If you’re dealing with an N244, you may wonder whether you should hire a solicitor for N244 form guidance. It is not required that you do so, and there will be a cost on top of the N244 fee if you do so. Given that N244 fees can already be quite high, you may be hesitant to do so. However, often working with a solicitor when you’re dealing with this kind of legal issue can bring you peace of mind. After all, do you know how to complete an N244 form so that you’ll get the help you need? It can be a little overwhelming to deal with any kind of legal proceedings, particularly those that involve your home, and a solicitor can help to make the process a bit easier. While it’s not required that you consult a solicitor, it certainly can be helpful, as they’ll offer N244 guidance notes to help you get through it.

If you’re worried about having your home repossessed, it’s important to understand the N244 and the entire process, as it can be quite overwhelming to many homeowners. Knowing what to fill out, how to fill it out, and even simple things like where to submit it can help give you a better understanding of the process and how it applies to you. If you need help from a solicitor, don’t be afraid to seek it, too, as the entire process of repossessing your home can be a little overwhelming for many people, so do what you need to get the assistance you need most.

We are proud members of...

  • NAPB
  • RICS
  • The Property Ombudsman
  • Trading Standards

We are proud to be the most regulated property buyer operating in the ‘Quick House Sale’ industry. We are an active member of the NAPB (National Association Of Property Buyers) and are RICS regulated, which means you can have every confidence of selling your home with us quickly & easily.